Bachelor of Liberal Studies
The University of Iowa’s Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) allows you to earn a University of Iowa bachelor’s degree from a distance. The BLS emphasizes workplace and leadership skills, and is designed for adults balancing professional growth and busy lives. If you have accumulated 24 or more credit hours from an accredited institution but haven’t earned your bachelor’s degree, an online Bachelor of Liberal Studies degree may be just be the right fit to help you meet your personal and career goalsBLS complete a track choosing from:
- Health and Human Studies
- Organizational Studies
- Global Studies
BLS Students may also incorporate one of these certificate programs into their BLS studies.
- Certificate in Entrepreneurial Management
- Certificate in Nonprofit Management
- Certificate in Public Health
- Certificate in Leadership Studies
In addition, the University of Northern Iowa and Iowa State University also offer the BLS, so you may take course work at those campuses and apply the credit toward your degree.
Contact the Distance and Online Education for more information.
In order to graduate from The University of Iowa with your BLS, you must have a total of at least 120 semester hours from all sources with a maximum of 60 semester hours credit from two-year institutions.
Your 120 semester hours must include:
- Completion of BLS Core Requirements
- Completion of Track Requirements (select one)
- 30 semester hours of Upper-Level Coursework
- 30 semester hours of credit earned from The University of Iowa after admission to the BLS program
- A minimum 2.0 cumulative grade-point average (GPA):
- Overall (transfer and UI)
- University of Iowa
OPTIONAL: Completion of Certificate(s)
Admission Requirements Tabs
Scholarships for BLS students are available through Continuing Education.
Apply to University College indicating the BLS program as your area of study.