Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Iowa

The University of Iowa

Print Header - IOWA Undergraduate Admissions


Take the first step to joining the Hawkeye family!

Application Process (Admission Requirements, Materials, & Deadlines)

First-Year Students

Apply as a freshman if you are currently in high school (regardless of total college credits completed while in high school) OR you have graduated from high school but haven’t enrolled at a college, university or any other school after high school.Apply Now

Transfer Students

Apply as a transfer if you are a high school graduate who has registered or enrolled at a college, university, or any other school after graduating from high school OR if you have earned a bachelor’s degree at another college or university and are seeking to earn another bachelor’s degree, certificate, or teacher licensure at the University of Iowa.Apply Now

International Students

Apply as an international undergraduate if you are not a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or refugee, and you are on a temporary visa, or if you will require any type of visa to study in the United States. Undocumented students should use the application for U.S. students.Apply Now

Returning Students

Former UI students who have been absent from the university for 12 months or more and who wish to resume their studies should complete the undergraduate Re-entry Application.Apply Now

BAS, BLS Students

Apply to the Bachelor of Liberal Studies program if you have completed coursework at another institution and want to complete your degree at Iowa. Apply to the Bachelor of Applied Studies program if you have graduated from a community college and want to complete your four-year degree. Both programs are available online. Apply Now

Nondegree Students

For students who want to take a course or courses but are not currently seeking admission to a degree program (e.g. high school students, visiting college students, study abroad students)Apply Now

Continuing Education Students (Nondegree)

Applicants who plan to take only Continuing Education courses (Online, GIS, Off-Campus), but are not seeking admission to a degree programApply Now

Changing Colleges

Current and former University of Iowa students who want to change undergraduate colleges within the university

Check the Status of Your Application Online

After you submit your application, we'll send you a HawkID and password to review the status of your application online using the Iowa Student Information System.

Applying to a Graduate or Professional Degree Program

If you already have an undergraduate bachelor's degree and wish to apply for a graduate or professional degree program at Iowa, review the information about Graduate & Professional Admissions.