High School Programs
A variety of programs for students in grades 9-12 are offered on our campus throughout the year.
College-level Course Work
- Take College Courses While Still in High School—Enroll at Iowa as a visiting high school student as part of the Post-Secondary Enrollment Options Act (PSEOA).
Summer and Weekend Programs
- Art Share—arts-related interactive performances, workshops, readings, residencies and master classes.
- Gifted and Talented
- Talented and Gifted Student Programs—Our world-renowned center for gifted education offers a variety of programs year-round for students in grades K-12.
- Iowa First Nations Summer Program—A week-long on-campus residential program for Native American students entering 11th or 12th grade.
- Iowa Summer Music Camps—Week-long summer programs featuring instruction in most phases of vocal and instrumental music. For students in grades 7 and above.
- Wildlife Camps—Study prairies, wetlands, woodlands, and birds through the programs offered by the University's recreational services department.
- Iowa Lakeside Lab Nature and Science Camps—outdoor activities designed to stimulate students’ intellectual, physical and emotional development, and stresses the importance of observation, questioning, and exploring the connections between animals, plants, people and ecosystems.
- Sports Camps—Instruction in football, softball, soccer, and many other sports.
- Iowa Young Writers' Studio—Two-week sessions on creative writing, fiction, or poetry for students who have completed their sophomore year.
- Iowa Summer Writing Festival—Weekend, week-long and two-week workshop format sessions are offered throughout June and July in fiction, nonfiction, poetry, essay, and more.
- Irish Writing Program—Creative writing program in Dublin for aspiring writers wanting to better their craft through writing workshops and courses in Irish literature & culture.
- Writer's Workshop—Four or Eight-week sessions of fiction and poetry workshops for undergraduate-level students through the University's of Iowa Writers' Workshop.
- Summer Journalism Workshops—Week-long sessions provide hands-on experience in yearbook or newspaper editing and writing, photography, broadcast reporting, and website or publication design.
- Between the Lines—Two two-week sessions bring together American, Russian, and Arab students aged 16-19 for creative writing and cultural exchange.
- Communication Sciences and Disorders—Several intensive summer programs are offered for individuals with specific communication disorders.
There's a lot to see and experience at Iowa. Visit the Museum of Natural History, Museum of Art, the Old Capitol Museum, and the Athletics Hall of Fame.
A new college prep guide is designed to help college-bound students navigate a successful path to The University of Iowa.