It's important to get the financial aid process started as early as possible, and the first step is to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after Jan. 1.
Once we receive your FAFSA information, the University of Iowa requires you to complete the Iowa Verification Form and submit Federal Income Tax Returns. Make sure you take this step.
Iowa's step-by-step financial aid process
- Step 1: File the FAFSA as soon as possible after Jan. 1.
- Step 2: Receive Student Aid Report from federal processor.
- Step 3: Submit Iowa Verification Form and Federal Income Tax Returns to the UI Office of Financial Aid.
- Step 4: Receive Award Notification.
- Step 5: Complete and submit promissory notes and entrance loan counseling (if applicable).
- Step 6: Check the status of your award on ISIS.
- Step 7: Receive financial aid funds.