Resources for First-Generation College Students
First-generation college students are the first in their families to attend college.
The UI Center for Diversity & Enrichment coordinates a variety of campus programs and services designed to create a welcoming environment for underrepresented minority students, first-generation college students, and students from low-income families. Additional support networks include:
- First Generation Iowa—A student group for first-generation college students at Iowa.
- TRiO Student Support Services
Scholarships & Financial Aid
If paying for your education is an issue, start your scholarship search with the UI Office of Student Financial Aid by finding out how to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- UI Scholarships—Iowa offers more than 1,500 scholarships based on academic merit and/or financial need.
- Types of Student Financial Aid
- How to Apply for Financial Aid at Iowa
Resources to Help You Plan for College
Iowa admission counselors offer college-preparation tips for students in grades 8-12, including course work recommendations, when to take the ACT or SAT, how to choose a college, and where to find scholarships.