Are you interested in a career related to the pharmaceutical sciences? The Drug Delivery Certificate program offers students the opportunity to learn about techniques used to provide and administer drugs to humans and animals.
Students in this certificate program will gain:
- A basic understanding of key steps required for the successful development of a drug product
- A foundational understanding of pharmaceutical material properties, mechanisms of pharmaceutical delivery, and drug action and disposition
- An integrative understanding of the relationship between a pharmaceutical product's design, its manufacture, and its clinical success.
Any University of Iowa student who is not concurrently enrolled in a UI graduate or professional degree program may earn this certificate.
Students must submit an Enrollment Questionnaire to the College of Pharmacy's Office of Undergraduate Education to request admission to the certificate program.
Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 and earn a minimum grade of B-minus in all prerequisite courses. Those who do not meet the admission requirements should contact the associate dean for undergraduate education to discuss admission to the certificate program.
The University of Iowa provides a variety of scholarships to eligible undergraduate students through the Iowa Scholarship Portal. Scholarships are available to first-year, transfer, and currently enrolled students. For additional details on scholarships for your program of study, check directly with the department or college.
This program requires at least 18 semester hours of credit.
The curriculum builds upon a solid basic science foundation to extend students' knowledge about techniques used in drug delivery, including:
- Selection of materials for use in drug products
- Characteristics of delivery systems used for injectable, oral, and topical drug administration
- Targeting strategies to limit unwanted side effects
- Design strategies to match drug products with biological requirements
- The role of drug development in the regulatory approval process used in the United States
Review Drug Delivery, Certificate in the UI General Catalog to learn about required course work. Some courses may have prerequisites and students must complete all of a course's prerequisites before they may register for the course. Prerequisite course work does not count toward certificate requirements.