Education Transfer Tips

All students applying to initial teacher preparation programs must be admitted to the University of Iowa as well as the Teacher Education Program (TEP). Admission to Teacher Education Programs is competitive. Meeting the minimum criteria does not ensure program admission. Selection is determined by academic achievement as reflected in grade point averages and test scores, aptitude as reflected by recommendations and personal statements, and the ability of the given program area to provide quality instruction and clinical and field experiences.

  • Students should consider transferring to the University of Iowa at the start of their sophomore year. Some factors that could increase time to graduation include courses previously completed, courses available at the transfer institution and course requirements for your particular program.
  • Begin to complete the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences General Education Requirements. Transfer students with an AA degree from an Iowa Community College or Black Hawk College in Illinois will enter the university having fulfilled all of the General Education Program requirements (except world language) in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
  • Complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program.
  • Complete the appropriate math requirement.

Elementary Education majors should complete the following courses:

  • MATH:1120 Logic of Arithmetic
  • STAT:1010 Statistics and Society or STAT:1020 Elementary Statistics and Inference

Secondary Education majors should complete a math course (equivalent to a MATH, STAT, or CS-Computer Science course) that satisfies the University of Iowa Quantitative and Formal Reasoning requirement. Reasoning or Logic courses will not satisfy the math licensure requirement.

  • Prospective Education majors should complete, if available, courses equivalent to:

EPLS:3000- Foundations of Education
PSQF:1075 - Educational Psych & Measurement
EDTL:4900 - Foundations of Special Education

  • Elementary Education majors can also take course work towards an optional Endorsement.
  • Students in Secondary (5-12) Teaching Education Programs can take courses in their major approved be their individual major department.
  • Transfer to the UI and into the UI College of Education prior to start of Junior Year.
  • Complete each of the steps in the application to the Teacher Education Program.
Points of Contact:
Elementary and Secondary Education—Sarah Showalter at 319-335-5119
Elementary Education—Misty Brents at 319-335-5612

Use the Online Equivalency Guide to determine appropriate transfer course equivalencies.

These resources can help facilitate your transfer to Iowa: