Geography Transfer Tips

Students can earn a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Geography.

Students should complete, if possible, during their first year prior to transferring:

  • GEOG:1090 Globalization and Geographic Diversity
  • STAT:1020 Elementary Statistics & Inference or STAT:1030 Statistics for Business
  • Students who plan to complete their AA degree at an Iowa community college should consider the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan
  • Use the 2 Plus 2 website and the Online Equivalency Guide to determine appropriate transfer course equivalencies. Transfer students with an AA degree from an Iowa community college or Black Hawk Community College in Illinois will enter the university having fulfilled all of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences General Education Program requirements (except world language and Diversity and Inclusion).  
  • 2 Plus 2 students must complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program. This requirement may be fulfilled by the appropriate high school work.
  • Geography majors choose a Track (major area of study) from the following:
    • Environmental Studies
    • Geographic Information Science
    • Health & Society

Prospective transfer students should contact the University of Iowa Office of Admissions, 319-335-1566, for information about applying.

Students with additional questions can access the University of Iowa Department of Geographical & Sustainability Sciences undergraduate information page. Contact Hannah Whitcomb,, 319-335-1889, with questions. 

These resources can help facilitate your transfer to Iowa: