Living expenses
Living in the United States can be expensive. The university is unable to offer any financial support beyond that which may have been committed to you already. If you do not have enough money to cover your studies and living expenses in the United States, do not assume you will be able to find additional financial support once you are in Iowa.

Employment options
Many UI students hold on-campus jobs, and work opportunities are nearly always available. On-campus jobs pay an average of $10.20 and most jobs entail work in a laboratory or in food service. Graduate students may be eligible for Teaching & Research Assistantships which carry a stipend.

In general terms, students in F-1 and J-1 status are permitted to work on campus 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semester and 40 hours per week during school breaks when classes are not in session. Students in J-1 status must first receive written permission from the responsible office for their J-program to work on campus.

Although it is possible to earn enough money at an on-campus job to pay for housing and food if you live frugally, it is not possible to earn enough to pay for tuition or to cover a family’s living expenses.

Note that undergraduate F-1 and J-1 students are not eligible to work at jobs designated "Work-Study Program." After one year, F-1 students are eligible for off-campus internships related to their program of study. Off-campus employment is rarely allowed.

Where to find jobs

  • The UI Office of Student Financial Aid hosts an annual Student Job Fair 
  • List of employment opportunities on- and off-campus: HireaHawk

Paying taxes

You may be taxed for income earned in the United States. Money is deducted each pay period from most employees' paychecks for federal and state income taxes. The amount of the deduction varies greatly.