The University of Iowa Honors Program welcomes outstanding students who want to enrich their college experience with engaging course work, exciting experiences outside of class, and opportunities to make great friends.
Why Join the Honors Program?
The Blank Honors Center, with its own library, computer lab, and study spaces, is a second home for many UI honors students. Support staff in the Honors Program can also help you connect with:
- The best classmates and the best instructors. Enroll in classes only for honors students.
- Honors courses and seminars. Work with an instructor to make any course an honors course.
- Personalized study plans. Capitalize on Iowa's broad course offerings to create your own field of study.
- Social activities. Make new friends at Daum Prom or during group activities and service projects.
- Living-learning communities. Live in one of our two Honors Living-Learning Communities.
- Teaching opportunities. Help teach first-year students and sophomores as a junior or senior.
- Research experience. Conduct original research for an honors thesis or project.
- Recognition. Receive honors commendation after your sophomore year and graduate with honors.
Admission to the Honors Program
You do not need to apply for admission to the Honors Program. Qualified students are invited to join Honors at Iowa and will need to accept the invitation to become a member. There also is an honors selective admission process for students who want to join but don't meet the minimum requirements for eligibility. The deadline to accept your invitation to honors is May 15.
Entering first-year students who do not meet the eligibility requirements to receive an invitation to join Honors at Iowa have the option to utilize the selective admission process. Incoming students who wish to apply for admission to the University of Iowa Honors Program must submit the following items:
- Personal Statement explaining why you want to be a member of Honors at Iowa
- Letter of recommendation from an instructor at your current school supporting your admission to our program
- Copy of your high school transcript (does not have to have an official seal)
You are encouraged to apply by May 1 as your admission could impact your housing options. Please allow 7-10 business days after Honors at Iowa receives all documentation for processing. You will receive a decision letter to your home address. Questions about the selective admission process should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.