Campus Pride gives The University of Iowa 4.5 out of 5 stars on its LGBT-Friendly Campus Climate Index based on our student life options, campus resources, and recruitment and retention efforts.
The designation is the latest milestone in a long tradition of UI support for LGBT issues: Iowa was the first state university to officially recognize the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender,and Allied Union (in 1970) and was the first public university in the country to offer insurance benefits to employees' domestic partners (in 1993).
Iowa also hosts an annual Rainbow Graduation Ceremony to celebrate the achievements of LGBT graduates and their allies.
- LGBT Resource Center—Open to everyone, this University-owned house is an open and affirming space where GLBT students and allies can interact to enhance their educational experience at Iowa.
- Student Organizations—Joining a student group is a great way to make friends. There are nearly 500 student organizations at Iowa, including the Spectrum UI, MEDIQS, and UI Trans Alliance.
Areas of Study
Iowa offers more than 200 Areas of Study for undergraduates, including a program that focuses on gender, women's, and sexuality studies.
Education & Advocacy
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Staff & Faculty Association
- Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity
- Rainbow Alumni Network
- Alumni Association's LGBT Affinity Group
- Safe Zone Project
- Women's Resource and Action Center
Financial Aid & Scholarships
If paying for your education is an issue, start your scholarship search with the UI Office of Student Financial Aid by finding out how to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This federal form collects the income-related data used by most colleges to determine your eligibility for scholarships (and grants and loans) based on your financial need.
- UI Scholarships—You can find details about many scholarships on our Admissions web site, but be sure to check other web sites for additional scholarship opportunities.
- Connections Iowa City—Members of this gay community group get together for parties, forums, and other events in Iowa City.
- The Quire—This GLBT community chorus performs in and around Iowa City.
- Momentum—Dances, coffee socials, barbeques, and game nights are among some of the events organized by members of this community program for gay and bisexual men in Johnson County.