BAS, BLS Application Process
Apply Now Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) allows you to earn a University of Iowa bachelor’s degree from a distance. The BLS emphasizes workplace and leadership skills, and is designed for adults balancing professional growth and busy lives. If you have accumulated 24 or more credit hours from the UI or an accredited institution but haven’t earned your bachelor’s degree, our online BLS degree may be just be the right fit to help you meet your personal and career goals!
Bachelor of Applied Studies (BAS) Designed for community-college graduates looking to complete their UI degree entirely online. The program is designed to be completed wherever you are, without coming to campus. Instead of a major, complete coursework in three of five thematic distribution areas. You can also focus your studies by selecting optional emphasis areas or certificates.
Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS)
Applicants must either:
- Have earned an AAS, AS, or AA degree with a GPA of 2.00 or higher for all college-level transfer credit, or
- Have completed a high-school degree at least three years before admission and have at least 24 semester hours of graded college-level transfer credit with a GPA of 2.00 or higher.
Bachelor of Applied Studies (BAS)
- AAS, AS, or AA degree
- 60 semester hours of transferable college credit, including all career-technical course work
- Cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher for Iowa community college graduates
- Cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher for graduates of community colleges outside Iowa
- Submit an application
- Pay the $40 application fee
- The fee is not refundable.
- Submit the required official academic records/transcripts to the Office of Admissions.
Office of Admissions
The University of Iowa
107 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1396
- May 1—for Summer Session or Fall Semester
- November 15—for Spring Semester
After You Apply
When we receive your application, you will be emailed a Hawk ID and password. Your Hawk ID and password allows you to track your application status through your Admissions Profile in the Iowa Student Information Services portal or ISIS.
After You are Accepted
Once you are admitted, you will receive an email from your assigned Academic Advisor. The email will contain your Next Steps including a link to the required online orientation. Once the orientation is complete you will begin to work with your advisor to select courses and register.