International Application Process
Apply Now International students (applicants who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents) are encouraged to apply well in advance of their anticipated enrollment date. We accept applications up to one year in advance of the session for which you intend to enroll.
International Student Admission Requirements
Our admission requirements vary depending on whether you are applying as a first-year or transfer student.
- International First-Year Student Admission Requirements
For students who have not previously enrolled in any postsecondary colleges or universities.
- International Transfer Student Admission Requirements
For students who have previously enrolled in a postsecondary college or university.
International Student Application Process
- Submit an application
- Pay the $80 application fee
- Payable by credit card. Do not send cash. Application fees are not refundable.
- Forward your academic records
- Ask every secondary school, college, university, technical/vocational institute, or professional institution you have attended to send us your official records or transcripts. Our address is:
Office of Admissions
The University of Iowa
107 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA USA 52242-1396
All records should bear the original stamp or seal of the institution and the signature of a school official. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a complete, literal, English translation, certified by the issuing institution. Records cannot be returned or transferred.
Please do not send letters of recommendation, photographs, portfolios, or personal essays unless the item is specifically requested by the Office of Admissions. Providing unsolicited materials will delay the processing of your application and will not factor into a University of Iowa admission decision. Extraneous items will not be returned to you and will not be retained by the Office of Admissions.
- Have your ACT or SAT score sent to us by the testing agency if:
- You completed secondary school in the United States
- You are applying for direct admission to the Tippie College of Business, the College of Engineering, or the University of Iowa Honors Program
- You plan to apply for scholarships (some awards require an ACT or SAT score)
- Our institution code for ACT is 1356; our institution code for SAT is 6681.
- If your first language is not English:
- Have the testing agency send us your TOEFL or IELTS score, if applicable, based on our English Proficiency Requirements.
- If you are requesting F1 or J1 visa status:
International Student Application Deadlines
Application deadlines vary depending on your area of study.
After You Apply
We will notify you of our admission decision about one month after receiving all required documents.
- When we receive your application, we will send you a Hawk ID and password to track the status of your application online through your Admissions Profile on ISIS (ISIS is the Iowa Student Information Services portal).
- Check Your Application Status Online
Accepting our Offer of Admission
- To accept our offer of admission to the university, pay the $250 acceptance fee as soon as possible but no later than May 1 if applying for Summer Session or Fall Semester (by November 15 if applying for Spring Semester).
- Your acceptance fee must be paid before you can register for International Student Orientation through your Admissions Profile on ISIS.
- The acceptance fee is refundable prior to May 1 (November 15 for spring applicants).
- Immigration documents to students residing outside the U.S. are prepared only after you use eShipGlobal to request your immigration documents by express mail. Do not go through DHL or FedEx website directly. When using the eShipGlobal service for the first time, you will need to establish a username and password. Once you have an account, you may request your immigration documents be sent. You will need your University of Iowa ID number [##########], mailing address, email address, phone number and credit card information.
- Immigration documents to students residing in the U.S. will be sent by regular postal mail by the Admissions Office.
- Immigration documents for non-degree exchange and official Study Abroad exchange students will be sent by express mail by the Admissions Office.
Your next steps may include applying for on-campus housing and preparing to live in the United States.