A Great College Town
Iowa City provides great recreation, entertainment, and housing in a metropolitan area of about 100,000 people (including the nearby cities of Coralville and North Liberty).
- Vibrant. The Iowa City area is beautiful, pedestrian-friendly, and laced with miles of scenic bike trails. The Iowa River is a focal point of the campus and the community.
- Cultured. Find great restaurants, eclectic book stores, and abundant venues for dance, theatre, and music. For more details about where to go when you get to town, visit the Iowa City/Coralville Convention & Visitors Bureau website.
- Accessible. We're within a five-hour drive of Chicago, Minneapolis, Omaha, Kansas City, and St. Louis, and Making Travel Arrangements is a breeze.
- Fun. Annual activities near campus include the Friday Night Concert Series and Blues Festival downtown. There's also an annual sandcastle contest, multiple arts fests, several film festivals, and outdoor movie screenings throughout the summer.
Nationally Ranked Community
Many University of Iowa students fall in love with Iowa City and some never leave, choosing to establish their careers and families here. Iowa City also ranks high in published reports:
- One of the Top Five College Towns in America, according to the American Institute for Economic Research's College Destination Index (2010-11) for cities with populations under 250,000.
- #6 among the "Brainiest" cities in America, according to a 2012 analysis published in The Atlantic.
- One of 100 Top Small Cities, according to CNN/Money Magazine's "Best Places to Live," 2010.
- World's third City of Literature, as designated by UNESCO in 2008.
- #2 in Forbes magazines' 2010 list of "Best Places for Businesses and Careers."
- #3 most-livable city in the United States—measuring housing affordability and rent, income levels, tax burden, and unemployment figures—according to Expansion Management magazine, which also ranked the Iowa City metropolitan area among the very best in the nation for quality K-12 schools.
Things to Do While You Are Here
Enjoy great dining, theatre, art, museums, athletic events, and live performances.
Ready to Visit?
Schedule your visit to our Iowa City campus today!