The Department of Communication Studies has a long-standing reputation as one of the top-ranked departments of its kind in the nation. The undergraduate program provides solid preparation for employment in media industries, consulting, human resources, public relations, and other jobs and careers requiring effective communication skills.
Review the responsibilities required to become and remain eligible for the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.
- Complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program.
- Complete SPC 140 Introduction to Mass Media
- Complete one of the following courses:
- SPC 122 Interpersonal Communication
- SPC 170 Business and Professional Speaking
- Complete all requirements for the AA degree.
- When transferring to Iowa, present a cumulative transfer grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.00 from all colleges attended.
- Complete COMM:1305 Understanding Communication: Social Scientific Approaches during your first semester at Iowa.
- Complete COMM:1306 Understanding Communication: Humanistic Approaches during your semester at Iowa.
- Complete the UI courses required for this major and maintain a 2.00 Major and University of Iowa grade-point average.
- Complete at least half of the remaining semester hours needed for your major and degree during each of your two years at Iowa. (A total of 40 semester hours is required for the Communications Studies major and 120 semester hours for the BA degree.)
A current schedule of UI courses is available online via Iowa Student Information Services (MyUI).