We're here to help you understand and plan for expenses you can expect during your first year on campus.
These are the estimated 2023-24 costs of attending the University of Iowa for an undergraduate student enrolled full time (12 or more semester hours) for the fall and spring semesters. These figures include a one-time University Records and Document Fee of $250 for new students.
Tuition and fees vary for International Students and for undergraduate students in business, engineering, medicine, nursing, and pharmacy. Tuition and fees for Part-Time and Online Students (enrolled for fewer than 12 semester hours per semester) are assessed based on the number of semester hours.
Estimated Costs of Attendance
|Billed expenses||Iowa Residents||Nonresidents|
|Tuition & fees*||$10,964||$32,927|
|Housing & food**||$12,616||$12,616|
|Total billed expenses||$23,580||$45,543|
|Other estimated expenses||Iowa Residents||Nonresidents|
|Books & supplies||$950||$950|
|Total estimated expenses||$5,266||$5,266|
|Billed expenses||Iowa Residents|
|Tuition & fees*||$10,964|
|Total billed expenses||$10,964|
|Other estimated expenses||Iowa Residents|
|Books & supplies||$950|
|Housing & food||$4,256|
|Total estimated expenses||$9,788|
* The estimated cost of attendance for living on- or off-campus is the same.
* The tuition listed is estimated and is finalized each summer for the following school year by the State of Iowa Board of Regents. Tuition varies for students in these areas of study:
- Business students pay $12,993 for residents ($34,995 for nonresidents); third- and fourth-year Business students pay $14,886 for residents ($37,059 for nonresidents).
- Computer Science and Informatics students pay $10,964 for residents ($32,927 for nonresidents); third- and fourth-year Computer Science and Informatics students pay $12,043 ($34,006 for nonresidents).
- Engineering students pay $12,436 for residents ($34,380 for nonresidents); second-, third-, and fourth-year Engineering students pay $14,377 ($36,611 for nonresidents).
- Medicine undergraduates pay $10,744 for residents ($32,707 for nonresidents).
- Nursing students pay $14,377 for residents ($36,490 for nonresidents).
- Pharmacy students pay $29,791 for residents ($45,333 for nonresidents).
**This cost is estimated, actual housing and meal costs will vary by student.
*** Personal expenses include phone charges, clothes, entertainment, laundry, and other costs. Although your actual expenses will vary, these estimates should help you plan a budget. This also includes the one-time University Records and Document Fee for new students.
Billing & Payment Information
The University Billing Office generates bills on the first of each month. Contracted charges—including tuition, fees, housing and meals—are billed June 1 for the Summer Session, Aug. 1 for the Fall Semester, Dec. 1 for the Winter Session, and Jan. 1 for the Spring Semester.
The UI Registrar's Office determines the classification of residents and nonresidents for tuition purposes.
Student Consumer Information
Learn more about the university through these statistical resources and reports.