The School of Social Work at Iowa has a tradition of innovation in social work education, activism, research, and public service. In particular, students' exposure to faculty expertise in a Research I university is one of the important characteristics that distinguishes Iowa’s social work program from other public and private programs in the state. Note: Admission to the major is selective.
Review the responsibilities required to become and remain eligible for the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.
Des Moines Area Community College checkpoints
- Complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program.
- Complete the following courses:
- HSV 109 Introduction to Human Services with a grade of C or higher
- BIO 156 Human Biology with Lab
- POL 111 American National Government
- SOC 110 Introduction to Sociology
- PSY 111 Introduction to Psychology
- Complete all requirements for the AA degree.
- Apply to the UI School of Social Work by the Feb 15 deadline and be accepted to the program. A minimum cumulative transfer grade-point average (GPA) of 2.50 is required at the time of application. Note: This is the minimum GPA to apply and does not guarantee acceptance to the major.
- It is strongly recommended that students have volunteer, internship, or work experience in areas related to social work before applying to the program.
University of Iowa Checkpoints
- Complete the UI courses required for this major, as specified in the UI General Catalog.
A current schedule of UI courses is available on the Iowa Student Information Service (MyUI).