Sociology deals with the social relations among individuals and the intercommunication and interaction among persons and groups. An undergraduate degree in sociology provides background for a wide range of careers, including those in social service, criminal justice, corrections, business, human resources management, applied social research, and secondary education.
Review the responsibilities required to become and remain eligible for the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.
- Complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program.
- Complete SOC 110 Introduction to Sociology.
- Complete the following math course:
- MAT 156 Statistics
- May complete one or both of the following sociology electives:
- SOC 115 Social Problems
- CRJ 200 Criminology
- Complete all requirements for the AA degree.
- When transferring to Iowa, present a cumulative transfer grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.00 from all colleges attended.
- Complete SOC:2130 Sociological Theory and SOC:2170 Research methods (stats required for this course) during the first year of enrollment at The University of Iowa.
- Complete the UI courses required for this major, as specified in the UI General Catalog.
- Complete at least half of the remaining semester hours needed for your major and degree during each of your two years at Iowa. (A total of 33 semester hours is required for the sociology major and 120 semester hours for the BA degree.)
A current schedule of UI courses is available online via Iowa Student Information Services (MyUI).