Biology Transfer Tips

Students may earn a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BS) in Biology.  

Students considering transferring in the Biology major should consult the Biology Transfer Guide.  

Students should complete the following courses, if available, before transferring.

  • CHEM:1110 Principles of Chemistry I & CHEM:1120 Principles of Chemistry II (Note: Both of these courses should be taken at the same College/University)
  • BIOL:1411 And BIOL:1412 (Note: Must be taken at the Same College/University in order to get credit for both)
  • One of these Math courses:
  • MATH:1460 Calculus for the Biological Sciences
  • MATH:1550 Engineering Math I: Single Variable Calculus
  • MATH:1850 Calculus I          

BS majors will choose a track.  Check the Biology website or the General Catalog for track choices.

Transfer students with an AA degree from an Iowa Community College or Black Hawk College in Illinois will enter the University having fulfilled all of the General Education CORE Program requirements (except World Language and Diversity and Inclusion) in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Completing an AA degree without completing the recommended biology and chemistry sequence could extend time to degree completion. 

Prospective transfer students should contact the University of Iowa Office of Admissions, 319-335-1566, for information about applying.

Prospective Biology majors should contact Anna Gaw, 319-353-2484,, with questions about the major.

These resources can help facilitate your transfer to Iowa: