Dance Transfer Tips

Students may earn a BA (Bachelor of Art) or a BFA (Bachelor of Fine Art) from the Department of Dance.

The Dance Department provides instruction primarily in Ballet and Modern Dance.

  • It is best to transfer as early as possible.
  • Students must audition for admission to the major. Time to graduation will depend on level of ability when entering and progression at UI.
  • Typically auditions are held for two days in February and two days in November. Prospective Dance majors and minors are required to attend only one audition day. See the Audition website for audition information and required audition form.
  • Take the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences General Education Requirements during the year prior to transferring.
  • Completion of an anatomy course before coming to Iowa would be helpful.
  • Complete, or begin to complete, four semesters of the same world language (fourth-level proficiency) as needed for Iowa’s General Education Program. The requirement may be fulfilled by the appropriate high school work.
  • Use the Online Equivalency Guide to determine appropriate transfer course equivalencies.

For further questions regarding auditions or the undergraduate program, please contact Kristin Marrs at or 319-335-2184.

These resources can help facilitate your transfer to Iowa: