Applicants whose first language is not English must submit official test scores to verify English proficiency before admission at the University of Iowa. Applicants can verify English proficiency by submitting official test scores from any of the following exams.
|Test||Minimum Requirements||How to Send|
|TOEFL iBT||Total score 80, no part score under 17||Send via ETS using institution code 6681 and leave department code blank|
|TEOFL ITP Plus for China||543+||Send via ETS using institution code 6681 and leave department code blank|
|IELTS||6.5, no part score under 6||Send via IELTS Testing Center|
|DuoLingo (DET)||Score of 105+||Send via DuoLingo English Test|
|ACT||English 21+||Send via ACT website using institution code 1356|
|SAT||Reading 29+||Send via CollegeBoard using institution code 6681|
- Applicants applying to the College of Nursing are required to submit TOEFL scores with a minimum score of 100.
- We do not accept the TOEFL Institutional Test of Proficiency (ITP) for admission purposes.
- We do not accept the TOEFL MyBest Superscore.
- The on-campus English Proficiency Evaluation (EPE) will be required unless applicants submit a TOEFL overall score of 100 or an IELTS overall score of 8.0 or higher.
Conditionally admitted students must first successfully pass the Iowa Intensive English Program before registering for regular coursework. Apply for conditional admission using the same application as for regular admission.
Applicants that do not meet our minimum TOEFL or IELTS requirements for admission may be eligible for Conditional Admission.
Scores required for Conditional Admission:
- TOEFL 54 – 79
- IELTS 4.5 with no subscore less than 4
- TEOFL ITP Plus for China 450 – 542