Environmental Sciences Transfer Tips

Students can earn a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Environmental Sciences

Environmental Sciences majors who will not complete the equivalent course requirements below by the end of their second year at their community college should transfer to the University of Iowa by the end of their first year. 

  • Meet Admission Requirements for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
  • Complete the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences General Education Requirements. Transfer students with an AA degree from an Iowa community college or Black Hawk College in Illinois will enter the University having fulfilled all of the General Education Program requirements (except world language and Diversity and Inclusion) in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
  • Complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program. 
  • BA and BS students should complete CHEM:1110 Principles of Chemistry I and CHEM:1120 Principles of Chemistry II.
  • BA and BS students should complete BIOL:1411 Foundations of Biology and BIOL:1412 Diversity of Form and Function.
  • BA and BS students should complete EES:1050 Introduction to Geology.
  • BA and BS students in the Biosciences and Chemical Sciences tracks should complete MATH:1850 Calculus I, while BS students in the Geoscience and Hydrosciences tracks should complete both MATH:1850 Calculus I and MATH:1860 Calculus II. 
  • Students may complete an introductory Environmental Science course, but please note that the course must be taken for 4 s.h. with a lab. Otherwise, the student will need to complete the lab portion here at Iowa. 

Prospective transfer students should contact the University of Iowa Office of Admissions, 319-335-1566, for information about applying.

Prospective Environmental Science majors should access the Environmental Sciences website or contact Hannah Whitcomb at 319-335-1889 with questions about the major. 

These resources can help facilitate your transfer to Iowa in environmental sciences: