Music Transfer Tips

Students can earn a BA (Bachelor of Arts in Music) or a BM (Bachelor of Music) from the School of Music.

  • Students must audition, typically in February for Fall admission, with voice or instrument (horn, trombone, tuba/euphonium, trumpet, organ, piano, percussion, violin, viola, cello, double bass, voice/opera, clarinet, bassoon, flute, oboe, saxophone).

Contact appropriate Studio Head for more information.

  • The School of Music will work with you to do everything possible to ensure that you graduate with a degree in music in a total of 4 years (1+3, 2+2). Please consult with the School of Music advisor or Director of Undergraduate Studies as early as possible to discuss your options. A Bachelor of Art in Music can be sequenced in less time.
  • Transfer students admitted to the School of Music must complete a minimum of one year of applied lessons (lower or upper) and one year of major ensemble at the University of Iowa in order to earn a degree in music.
  • Take College of Liberal Arts and Sciences General Education Requirements during the year prior to transferring.
  • Use the Online Equivalency Guide to determine appropriate transfer course equivalencies.
  • Complete, or begin to complete, four semesters of the same world language (fourth-level proficiency) as needed for Iowa’s General Education Program. The requirement may be fulfilled by the appropriate high school work.

Music Therapy majors must be admitted to a studio and take additional courses. Contact Abbey Dvorak at or 1-319-467-3139.

Students interested in Jazz Studies should contact Damani Phillips at or 1-319-384-2835.

Students with general music questions should contact Alan Huckleberry,, Undergraduate Coordinator, 1-319-335-1650.