Physics Transfer Tips

Students may earn either a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BS) in Physics. This major can be sequenced in four semesters. The Physics major is highly sequential and students should transfer at the end of their first year or in the spring of their sophomore year in order to complete the major in a timely manner.

Students should complete the following courses, if available, before transferring:

  • PHYS:1611 Introductory Physics I and PHYS:1612 Introductory Physics II
  • MATH:1850 Calculus I and MATH:1860 Calculus II

Prospective Physics majors should consult the Department of Physics and Astronomy website for more information.

Transfer students with an AA degree from an Iowa Community College, or Black Hawk College in Illinois, will enter the University having fulfilled all of the General Education Program requirements (except World Language and Diversity & Inclusion) in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Prospective transfer students should contact the University of Iowa Office of Admissions, 319-335-1566, for information about applying.

Prospective Physics majors should contact Ellie Healy at, 319-467-3211 with questions about the major.

These resources can help facilitate your transfer to Iowa in physics: