Political Science Transfer Tips

Students can earn a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BS) in Political Science.

This major can be sequenced in four semesters. Students may transfer either sophomore or junior year and still complete the major. 

  • Students should complete the following courses, if available, before transferring
    • POLI:1100 Introduction to American Politics
  • Students can also take one or more of the following Political Science courses, if available, prior to transferring:
    • POLI:1400 Introduction to Comparative Politics
    • POLI:1500 Introduction to International Relations
    • POLI:1501 Introduction to American Foreign Policy
  • Prospective BS majors should check the Political Science website for additional math courses in calculus and statistics.

Students who plan to complete their AA degree at an Iowa Community college should consider the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.

Use the 2 Plus 2 website and the Online Equivalency Guide to determine appropriate transfer course equivalencies. Transfer students with an AA degree from an Iowa or Illinois community college will enter the university having fulfilled all of the General Education CORE Program requirements except World Language and Diversity and Inclusion in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. 

2 Plus 2 students must complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program.

Prospective transfer students should contact the University of Iowa Office of Admissions, 319-335-1566, for information about applying.

Prospective Political Science majors should contact Martha Kirby, Martha-kirby@uiowa.edu, 319-335-2347, with questions about the major.

These resources can help facilitate your transfer to Iowa:

Political Science