- Students may earn a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BS) in Sociology
- This major can be sequenced in four semesters. Students may transfer either sophomore or junior year and still complete the major.
- Students should complete the following courses, if available, before transferring.
- SOC:1010 Introduction to Sociology
- STAT:1020 Elementary Statistics and Inference or STAT:1030 Business Statistics
- Students can also take one or two of the following Sociology courses, if available, prior to transferring:
- SOC:1020 Social Problems
- SOC:1220 Principles of Social Psychology
- SOC:2710 The American Family
Prospective BS majors should speak with Joe Davis, firstname.lastname@example.org, 319-335-2487, about additional math and statistics transfer.
Students who plan to complete their AA degree at an Iowa Community college should consider the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.
Use the 2 Plus 2 website and the Online Equivalency Guide to determine appropriate transfer course equivalencies. Transfer students with an AA degree from an Iowa or Illinois community college will enter the university having fulfilled all of the General Education CORE Program requirements (except World Language and Diversity and Inclusion) in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
2 Plus 2 students must complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program.
Prospective transfer students should contact the University of Iowa Office of Admissions, 319-335-1566, for information about applying.
Prospective Sociology Transfer students should contact Joe Davis, email@example.com, 319-335-2487, with questions about the major.
These resources can help facilitate your transfer to Iowa: