Therapeutic Recreation Transfer Tips

A student can earn a BS (Bachelor of Science) degree in Therapeutic Recreation.

Therapeutic Recreation service is a health-oriented field. It involves the provision of recreation programs designed to improve or maintain the physical, emotional, mental, and social functioning of persons with disabilities. It uses treatment, leisure education, and recreational services to promote a satisfying leisure lifestyle among persons with acute and chronic impairments.

Recommended courses for Therapeutic Recreation that can be completed prior to transfer:

  • HHP:1100 Human Anatomy (or Human Anatomy & Physiology)
  • PSY:1001 Elementary Psychology (or equivalent or similar higher-level course)
  • HHP:1300 Fundamentals of Physiology¬†
  • TR:1070 Perspectives on Leisure & Play, or equivalent courses or higher-level courses addressing the same content areas.

Application for Admission to the Undergraduate Therapeutic Recreation Program, B.S.

  • Complete the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences General Education Requirements. Transfer students with an AA degree from a community college in Iowa or Black Hawk College in Illinois will enter the university having fulfilled all of the General Education CORE Program requirements (except world language) in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
  • Complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program.

Prospective transfer students should contact the University of Iowa Office of Admissions, 319-335-1566, for information about applying or arranging a campus visit.

Contact Ken Mobily at 319-335-0172 or with additional questions.

These resources can help facilitate your transfer to Iowa:

Therapeutic Recreation