If you want to enroll in undergraduate classes on campus, but you aren't seeking a bachelor's degree, apply as an undergraduate nondegree student.

Credit earned as a nondegree student may be applied at a later date toward an undergraduate degree. Should you decide to enroll at Iowa as a degree-seeking student, you'll need to submit the appropriate application at that time (for admission as a first-year or transfer student). You may enroll for a total of three consecutive sessions as a nondegree student before reapplication is necessary.

University of Iowa Distance and Online Education offers credit courses and degree-related course sequences. Applicants who plan to take only Distance and Online Education courses (Online, GIS, Off-Campus), but are not seeking admission to a degree program should apply as a Distance and Online Education Student.

Admission Requirements for Nondegree Applicants

  • Students still in high school who wish to apply to the university as a nondegree student must have a cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of 3.50 or higher.
    • Postsecondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) for students enrolled in an Iowa high school—If you have a high school grade-point average (GPA) of 3.50 or higher, your school district may be willing to pay up to $250 toward the tuition for each course you take. Contact your high school guidance counselor to see whether you are eligible for this program.
  • Students who have taken coursework at another college must present a cumulative grade-point average of 2.50 or higher.
  • International applicants must meet the English Proficiency Requirement for admission to the university.

Application Process

  • Apply Now as an undergraduate nondegree student.
    • Most nondegree applicants will be charged a $40 application fee upon enrollment, which will appear on the student's first university bill.
    • There is no application fee for high school students, Regents Exchange students, and students who are already being charged a fee by a sponsoring department (such as a study abroad program).
  • If you are still in high school, have your high school send a transcript to Enrollment Management, 2900 University Capitol Centre, 201 S. Clinton St., Iowa City, IA 52242.
  • Current or former University of Iowa students do not need to submit UI transcripts, or re-submit transcripts previously submitted to UI from other institutions.
  • Your application and any supporting documents must be received at least two weeks before university classes begin.

After Admission

It will take approximately two weeks for the university to process your application.

  • Receive your HawkID and access to MyUI—Admitted students will receive a HawkID and password to use the university's online student services portal.
    • If you forget your HawkID, contact Admissions at 319-335-3847 weekdays 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. If you forget your password, request a Password Reset.
  • Prepare for class registration—Before you can register for classes, you must meet with an academic adviser, who will either give you a registration number or clear you for registration. Your Admissions Profile in MyUI will provide specific information about contacting your adviser.
    • High school nondegree students are advised by the Academic Advising Center (AAC). Other nondegree students are advised by the AAC or an academic department.
    • You will register for classes online using MyUI. Your registration date and time will be displayed when you log in.
  • Provide proof of immunization—Admitted students are required to show Proof of Vaccinations for Measles, Mumps, and Rubella before registering for classes.
  • Investigate financial aid—Nondegree students at the University of Iowa may qualify for financial aid. For information about the federal regulations related to this, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid.
  • Arrange for parking—If you will own or operate a motor vehicle in the Iowa City area, you must Register Your Vehicle with the university's parking department within 48 hours of bringing it to campus.