First-Generation students are students who do not have a parent or legal guardian who has completed a 4-year degree.
- First Gen Hawks
- First-Generation living learning community
- Campus Mentors for First-Generation Student
- National First-Generation College Celebration
- 1st Gen at Iowa Student Advisory Board
- UI Parent and Family Network
- Office of Multicultural & International Student Support & Engagement (MISSE)
Financial Aid and Scholarships
To supplement the cost of attending the University, start your scholarship search with the UI Office of Student Financial Aid and adding the University of Iowa to your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Additional resources include:
- UI Scholarships—Iowa offers more than 1,500 scholarships based on academic merit and/or financial need.
- Types of Student Financial Aid
- How to Apply for Financial Aid at Iowa
Resources to Help You Plan for College
Iowa admission counselors offer college-preparation tips for students in grades 8-12, including course work recommendations, when to take the ACT or SAT, how to choose a college, and where to find scholarships.
Pre-College Programs and Community Resources
Contact the Center for Inclusive Academic Excellence for information about summer programs for students who are members of this group.
If you have a business or program local to the Iowa City area that you feel would be appropriate on this page, please contact the Admissions Web Editor about the addition.
Links or references on this page to outside services or products do not constitute an endorsement of any kind. These links are provided for informational purposes only.