Campus Pride gives The University of Iowa 4 out of 5 stars on its LGBT-Friendly Campus Climate Index based on our student life options, campus resources, and recruitment and retention efforts.
The designation is the latest milestone in a long tradition of UI support for LGBT issues: Iowa was the first state university to officially recognize a queer student organization, the Gay Liberation Front (in 1970), now known as Spectrum UI, and was the first public university in the country to offer insurance benefits to employees' domestic partners (in 1993).
Iowa also hosts an annual Rainbow Graduation Ceremony to celebrate the achievements of LGBT graduates and their allies.
- Pride Alliance Center—Open to everyone, this University-owned house is an open and affirming space where LGBT students and allies can interact to enhance their educational experience at Iowa.
- Student Organizations—Joining a student group is a great way to make friends. There are nearly 600 student organizations at Iowa, including the EQUAL Meds, UI Trans Alliance, Reaching Out in Business, oSTEM@Iowa, DLP, and Outlaws.
- All-In—An LGBTQ+ friendly living learning community that offers a safe and welcoming environment for LGBTQ+ students in the residence halls.
Areas of Study
Iowa offers more than 200 Areas of Study for undergraduates, including a program that focuses on gender, women's, and sexuality studies.
Education and Advocacy
- Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity
- Alumni Association's LGBT Affinity Group
- Safe Zone Project
- Women's Resource and Action Center
Financial Aid and Scholarships
To supplement the cost of attending the University, start your scholarship search with the UI Office of Student Financial Aid and adding the University of Iowa to your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Additional resources include:
- Trans Student Support Fund—A fund sponsored by UISG and the Office of the Dean of Students that assists students in paying for legal name and document changes.
- UI Scholarships—You can find details about many scholarships on our Admissions web site, but be sure to check other web sites for additional scholarship opportunities.
Pre-College Programs and Community Resources
- The Quire—This GLBT community chorus performs in and around Iowa City.
- Emma Goldman Clinic—This clinic welcomes LGBTQ+ students to seek medical advice and assistance there.
- LGBTQQ Clinic—Every staff member of the University of Iowa's LGBTQQ clinic has had LGBTQ-specific cultural humility training. This training, through the Safe Zone Project, is to make sure our clinic setting is welcoming and assuring for all our patients.
- TransVerse—TransVerse is a community support group for trans people and their allies.
- One Iowa—One Iowa is a statewide lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer/questioning (LGBTQ) organization preserving and advancing equality for LGBTQ individuals through grassroots efforts, advocacy, and education.
- Iowa City LGBTQ Support Group—A support group for LGBTQ+ people in the Iowa City area. The intent of this online group is to share local resources for our community.
If you have a business or program local to the Iowa City area that you feel would be appropriate on this page, please contact the Admissions Web Editor about the addition.
Links or references on this page to outside services or products do not constitute an endorsement of any kind. These links are provided for informational purposes only.