Accounting is one of six undergraduate majors in the top-ranked Tippie College of Business. Accounting is a dynamic field at the heart of every business. The major is designed to give you a strong base of accounting courses but also knowledge of information systems, written and oral communication skills, leadership ability, and teamwork skills.
Review the responsibilities required to become and remain eligible for the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.
- Complete all requirements for the AA degree.
- Complete four semesters of the same world language (fourth-level proficiency) or two semesters of two different world languages (second-level proficiency) as needed for Iowa’s General Education Program. The requirement may be fulfilled by the appropriate high school work.
- Complete the following prerequisite courses with a minimum 2.75 cumulative grade-point average (GPA) and no grade lower than a C:
- MAT 211 Calculus (may require a prerequisite course as suggested by math placement)
- MAT 157 Statistics
- ECN 130 Principles of Microeconomics
- ACC 121 and ACC 122 Principles of Accounting I and II (both must be completed)
- Complete the following core courses required to declare a major in the Tippie College of Business:
- CSC 110 Introduction to Computers
- ECN 120 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ACC 221 Cost Accounting
- Present a minimum 3.00 cumulative transfer GPA for all college courses taken and a minimum 2.67 GPA (a B- average) in ACC 121, ACC 122 and ACC 221.
- Apply to the University of Iowa indicating business as your major by the appropriate deadline.
- Pass the Accounting Department's Writing Skills Assessment (see FAQs).
- The Tippie College of Business has a Selective Admission Process.
The following required courses can be taken at Iowa Western Community College OR the University of Iowa:
- BUS 185 Business Law I; MGT:2000 Introduction to Law at Iowa
- MGT 101 Principles of Management; MGT:2100 Introduction to Management at Iowa
University of Iowa application procedures
Students interested in admission to the Tippie College of Business must complete the online application for admission to the university, which includes transfer course information, and review of the Tippie Honor Code. Applications are accepted for the fall and spring semesters only. Application deadlines are May 1 for fall applicants and December 1 for spring applicants.
- Complete the UI courses required for this major, as specified in the College of Business Web Site.
- Complete at least half of the remaining semester hours needed for your major and degree during each of your two years at Iowa. Students must earn a minimum of 120 semester hours, with the following requirements:
- At least 48 semester hours must be taken in business courses and at least 60 semester hours in non-business courses.
- At least 30 semester hours must be taken at Iowa following admission to the Tippie College of Business.
- A GPA of at least 2.00 must be earned on all college course work, all course work attempted at the University of Iowa, all business course work attempted, all business course work at the University of Iowa, all course work attempted in the major, and all course work attempted in the major at the University of Iowa.
A current schedule of UI courses is available online via Iowa Student Information Services (MyUI).