If you’d like to pursue a curriculum drawn from a variety of fields having to do with America’s history, culture, politics, and communications, American studies is a field to investigate at Iowa. The program prepares you for careers in business, education, government, arts and museum administration, journalism, and social services. It’s also a good foundation for advanced studies in the humanities, the social sciences, theology, business, or for professional studies in law or medicine.
Review the responsibilities required to become and remain eligible for the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.
- Complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program.
- Complete the following courses:
- HIS 151 U.S. History to 1877
- HIS 152 U.S. History since 1877
- Complete all requirements for the AA degree.
- When transferring to Iowa, present a cumulative transfer grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.00 from all colleges attended.
- During the first semester at Iowa, the student and faculty advisor should agree upon a plan of study and focus area for completing the major requirements.
- Complete the UI courses required for this major, as specified in the UI General Catalog.
- Complete at least half of the remaining semester hours needed for your major and degree during each of your two years at Iowa. (A total of 36 semester hours is required for the American studies major and 120 semester hours for the BA degree.)
A current schedule of UI courses is available online via Iowa Student Information Services (MyUI).