American studies explores the dynamics of cultural experience and aspects of everyday life in our diverse nation, such as popular culture, fine arts, institutions, values, and gender and ethnic relations.
Students interested in this major need to meet the requirements for admission to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
The University of Iowa provides a variety of scholarships to eligible undergraduate students through the Iowa Scholarship Portal. Scholarships are available to first-year, transfer, and currently enrolled students. For additional details on scholarships for your program of study, check directly with the department or college.
Course work includes classes on American history and identity and stresses broad training in cultural analysis and communication. When you declare American Studies as your major, you’ll select one of these standard focus areas or work with your adviser to design one of your own.
- Ethnic Studies, Diversity, and Differences considers how social differences shape institutions and cultural practices in the United States.
- American Arts, Literature, and Popular Culture examines artistic creations, discovering how they are shaped by cultural preconceptions, norms, and standards and how they affect developments in cultural life.
- American Society, Politics, and Everyday Life considers the dynamics of social change, the emergence and fate of political movements, and the roles of family, workplace, and community in everyday life.
- Politics of Nature: Environment, Sustainability, and Landscape explores how Americans have shaped and regarded the natural environment, including the impact of industrialization and urban growth on the environment and the growing sustainability movement.
- Sport and Popular Amusements looks at all forms and levels of various sports, recreational activities, and popular amusements enjoyed in the United States.
All students who wish to earn a bachelor's degree in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences must complete the GE CLAS Core requirements.
See American Studies in the UI General Catalog to learn more about the American Studies major or minor and graduating with honors.