We accept applications up to one year in advance of the session for which you intend to enroll.
International Student Admission Requirements
Our admission requirements vary depending on whether you are applying as a first-year or transfer student.
- International First-Year Student Admission Requirements
For students currently in high school and high school graduates who have not attended school after high school graduation.
- International Transfer Student Admission Requirements
For students who have attended school after high school graduation.
- Application deadlines vary depending on your area of study: International Application Deadlines
International Student Application Process
- Submit an application
- Pay the $80 application fee
- Payable by credit card. Application fees are not refundable.
- Upload your academic records
- Within your Admissions Profile in MyUI, upload all required official transcripts from every secondary school, college, university, technical/vocational institute, or professional institution you have attended.
- Examine the Country Specific Admissions Requirement List to learn more about the required credentials and minimum academic standards needed for Admissions.
- If your first language is not English:
- Have the testing agency send us your TOEFL, IELTS or PTE score, if applicable, based on our English Proficiency Requirements.
- Have your ACT or SAT score sent to us by the testing agency.
- Our institution code for ACT is 1356; our institution code for SAT is 6681.
- ACT or SAT is required if:
- You plan to use ACT/SAT to meet the English score requirement
- You will graduate or have graduated from a high school in the United States.
- You are applying to the University of Iowa Honors Program
- You plan to apply for scholarships (some awards require an ACT or SAT score)
After You Apply
- When we receive your application, we will send you a message to set up your HawkID and password to track the status of your application online through your Admissions Profile in MyUI.
- Check Your Application Status Online
- We will notify you of our admission decision about one month after receiving all the required documents.
- If you are requesting F1 or J1 visa status, wait until after you have received an offer of admission, then log in to your Admissions Profile in MyUI and access iHawk to upload the financial documentation needed by the International Students and Scholar Services (ISSS) office to issue an immigration document.
Accepting our Offer of Admission
- To accept our offer of admission to the university, pay the $250 acceptance fee as soon as possible but no later than May 1 if applying for Summer Session or Fall Semester (by November 15 if applying for Spring Semester).
- Your acceptance fee must be paid before you can register for International Student Orientation through iHawk via your Admissions Profile in MyUI.
- The acceptance fee is refundable prior to May 1 (November 15 for spring applicants).
- Upon admission, forward your official academic records
- Ask every secondary school, college, university, technical/vocational institute, or professional institution you have attended to provide your official records or transcripts. Transcripts can be uploaded via your admissions profile, or mailed to:
Office of Admissions
The University of Iowa
108 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA USA 52242-1396
The physical delivery address, which may be required by some transcript delivery services (example: FedEx, DHL, or UPS), is 2 W. Jefferson Street.
Official transcripts can be sent via Naviance eDocs, Docufied by Parchment, postal mail or express courier. International applicants also have the ability to upload transcripts, financial statements, financial guarantees and copies of passports via their Admissions Profile. All records should bear the original stamp or seal of the institution and the signature of a school official. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a complete, literal, English translation, certified by the issuing institution. Records cannot be returned or transferred.
Please do not send letters of recommendation, photographs, portfolios, or personal essays unless the item is specifically requested by the Office of Admissions. Providing unsolicited materials will delay the processing of your application and will not factor into a University of Iowa admission decision. Extraneous items will not be returned to you and will not be retained by the Office of Admissions.
Admitted Students next steps may include applying for on-campus housing and preparing to live in the United States.
The University of Iowa does not engage in commission-based “agent” partnerships. See our full Agent Statement.