The psychology major at Iowa involves a broad curriculum, training students in the study of individual behavior through human and animal studies. One of the most popular undergraduate majors at Iowa, the psychology program enjoys an excellent national reputation.
Review the responsibilities required to become and remain eligible for the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.
- Complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program.
- Complete the following courses:
- PSY 111 Introduction to Psychology
- MAT 156 Statistics (or a more advanced statistics course). May require a prerequisite course as suggested by math placement.
- May complete PSY 251 Social Psychology with a grade of C- or higher.
- May complete one of the following courses with a grade of C- or higher:
- PSY 222 Child Psychology
- ECE 170 Child Growth & Development
- Complete all requirements for the AA degree.
- When transferring to Iowa, present a cumulative transfer grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.00 from all colleges attended.
- Complete the UI courses required for this major, as specified in the UI General Catalog.
- Complete at least half of the remaining semester hours needed for your major and degree during each of your two years at Iowa. (A total of 40 semester hours is required for the psychology major and 120 semester hours for the BA degree.)
A current schedule of UI courses is available online via Iowa Student Information Services (MyUI).