Areas of Study
Learn more about each area of study, required course work, and how to apply.
- Majors, Minors, & Certificate Programs
Each area of study, required course work, and how to apply.
- Open Major
Consider this if you have not yet decided on a major.
- Undeclared Engineering Major
Consider this if you are not sure which engineering major is most appealing.
Requirements vary depending on the type of student you are and your area of study.
- First-Year Admission
If you are still in high school.
- Transfer Admission
If you have attended other colleges.
- International Admission
If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
Qualified students are invited to join Honors at Iowa and will need to accept the invitation to become a member.
- Admission to the Honors Program
Requirements vary for first-year, transfer, and international students.
Credit by Exam
Earn course credit before you even get to campus.
- AP, CLEP, & IB Credit by Exam Policies
Earn up to 30 hours of credit toward graduation with satisfactory scores on the AP, IB, or CLEP tests.
- Mathematics Incentive Program
Earn credit toward graduation with a qualifying score on your math placement test.
- Furthering Language Incentive Program
Explore the options for earning additional course credits in a world language.
- GAC Program Credit Policies for International Applicants
Some Global Assessment Certificate courses can be used toward a UI bachelor's degree.
- Cambridge International Examinations (CIE)
- Iowa accepts credit for many AS and A Level exams, depending on the subject and your score.
Resources for New Students
These resources can help you make a smooth transition to Iowa.
- Four-Year Graduation Plan
Work closely with our academic advisers to graduate in four years and keep college costs low.
Every new student attends an Orientation program to register for classes. It's mandatory.
- Academic Advising Center
Every UI student works with an advisor to select courses.
- College Transition Course
This course can help you navigate college life, and Iowa's campus.