Anthropology Transfer Tips

Students can earn either a BA (Bachelor of Arts) or BS (Bachelor of Science) in Anthropology.

This major can be sequenced in four semesters. Students may transfer either sophomore or junior year and still complete the major.

  • Students should complete the following courses, if available, before transferring:
    • ANTH:1101 - Cultural Anthropology
    • ANTH:1301 - Human Origins
    • ​For BS degrees, STAT:1020 or CS:1110 or MATH:1850

Prospective BS majors should check the Anthropology website for additional math courses in calculus and statistics.

Students who plan to complete their AA degree at an Iowa Community college should consider the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.

Use the 2 Plus 2 website and the Online Equivalency Guide to determine appropriate transfer course equivalencies. Transfer students with an AA degree from an Iowa or Illinois community college will enter the university having fulfilled all of the General Education CORE Program requirements (except World Language and Diversity and Inclusion) in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

2 Plus 2 students must complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program.

Prospective transfer students should contact the University of Iowa Office of Admissions, 319-335-1566, for information about applying.

Prospective Anthropology majors should contact Margaret Beck,, 319-335-0286, or call the department, 319-335-0522, with questions about the major.

These resources can help facilitate your transfer to Iowa:

Anthropology 2 Plus 2 Plan