Psychology Transfer Tips

Students may earn a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BS) in Psychology.

This major can be sequenced in four semesters. Students may transfer either sophomore or junior year and still complete the major.

Students should complete the following courses, if available, before transferring.

  • PSY:1001 Elementary Psychology

Students can also take one or both of the following Psychology courses, if available, prior to transferring:

  • PSY:2401 Introduction to Developmental Science
  • ​PSY:2501 Introduction to Social Psychology

Students who plan to complete their AA degree at an Iowa Community college should consider the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.

Use the 2 Plus 2 website and the Online Equivalency Guide to determine appropriate transfer course equivalencies. Transfer students with an AA degree from an Iowa Community College, or Black Hawk College in Illinois, will enter the University having fulfilled all of the General Education Program requirements (except World Language and Diversity and Inclusion) in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

2 Plus 2 students must complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program.

Prospective transfer students should contact the University of Iowa Office of Admissions, 319-335-1566, for information about applying.

Prospective Psychology majors should contact Deb Johnson,, 319-335-0135, or Janeil Page-Jamison,, 319-384-3657, with questions about the major. 

These resources can help facilitate your transfer to Iowa: