Direct Admission Program
Direct Admission to the College of Nursing is designed for high-achieving high school students. There are two direct admission options: early action or regular decision. You must meet the criteria below to be considered for either option.
- Meet the high school course requirements:
- 4 years of High School English
- 1 year of High School Biology
- 1 year of High School Chemistry
- 1 year of High School Physics
- One year of each: Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry
- 3 years of High School Social Studies
- Minimum 2nd-level proficiency in one world language
- Present an ACT Composite score of 28 or higher (SAT: 1300 or higher)
- Present a cumulative high school GPA of 3.80 or higher (can be weighted or unweighted).
Qualified applicants, or applicants lacking one of the criteria above will be invited to submit a supplemental application for direct admission. Please note that each high school course is considered a separate requirement. Applicants are urged to meet all minimum requirements. All Direct Admission candidates are expected to complete high school course content requirements prior to enrollment at Iowa.
Components of the Supplemental Application
The Supplemental Application includes several essay questions and an activities/experiences list.
The essay questions are an important part of your application and are considered by the admission committee to have equal weight to your GPA and official test scores (ACT/SAT). We recommend you prepare responses in a separate document (using Microsoft Word or a similar program) and paste them into the text boxes below. Preparing your response in a separate document will allow you to check your spelling and save your responses should you want to refer to them at a later date. Each essay question has a 1,500-character limit.
Students also have the opportunity to submit an Activities and Experiences list and can list up to three activities they have been involved in within the past five years that they would like to share with the faculty.
APPLICATION DEADLINES: EARLY ACTION VS REGULAR DECISION
Students can apply for Direct Admission to the College of Nursing via Early Action or Regular Decision.
- Early Action has an application deadline of November 1
- Up to 50 Early Action applicants will be admitted for Direct Admission to the College of Nursing
- Students who apply via Early Action will receive an admission decision on or about December 1
- Students who apply via Early Action who are not initially offered admission may be moved to the Regular Decision pool
All students will have until May 2 to accept or decline an offer of admission
- Regular Decision has an application deadline of February 1
- All Regular Decision applications are a part of the Regular Decision pool
- 30 applicants from the pool will be admitted for Direct Admission to the College of Nursing
- Students in the Regular Decision pool will receive an admission decision on or about March 1