Transfer students who meet the prerequisite courses and grade-point averages listed below are eligible to apply for admission directly to the Tippie College of Business (the accounting major has additional admission requirements).
- 24 semester hours of college credit (from UI or transfer credit)
- No instances of academic misconduct
- A GPA of at least 2.75 prerequisite, UI, and cumulative (accounting requires a 3.0 UI and cumulative GPA)
- Passing grades in the following prerequisites or equivalents:
- ECON:1100 Principles of Microeconomics
- STAT:1030 Statistics for Business
- RHET:1030 Rhetoric
- MSCI:1500 Business Computing Essentials
- MATH:1350 Quantitative Reasoning for Business (Note: We will also accept any course that currently fulfills MATH:1380.)
English Proficiency Requirement
Applicants whose first language is not English also must meet the university's English Proficiency Requirements.
- March 1—for Fall Semester
- September 1—for Spring Semester
Application deadlines are February 1 for fall applicants and September 1 for spring applicants. Applications are accepted for the fall and spring sessions only.
When you are admitted, a Degree Audit will become part of your Admissions Profile in MyUI. The audit:
- specifies which General Education Requirements and requirements for your major you still need to fulfill,
- indicates (for pre-business students) which prerequisite courses necessary for applying to the Tippie College of Business need to be fulfilled, and
- monitors other degree requirements including semester hours, GPA, residency requirement, and college-specific regulations.
Transfer Credit Evaluation
The Office of Admissions evaluates General Education Program requirements, as well as a number of courses applicable to the requirements of your major. Your major department makes decisions about how the rest of your transfer courses apply toward the requirements for your major.
- Review our Transfer Policies to find out about calculating your transfer GPA, Iowa's course-repeat policy, and other Iowa transfer policies.
- Search the Transfer Equivalency Guide for commonly transferred courses offered at other Iowa institutions and our major out-of-state transfer colleges. The system is designed for prospective students who want to know how courses will transfer to Iowa and for UI students who plan to take courses at other institutions in the summer or at other times.
- The College of Business has developed Community College Transfer Guides for students planning to transfer from select community colleges.
Undergraduate Areas of Study in the Tippie College of Business
The Tippie College of Business offers six majors leading to the undergraduate Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree.
General Education Program
Students admitted to the Tippie College of Business must complete the college's General Education Program in addition to the course work required for their major. The General Education Program is designed to provide all students with a foundation in critical thinking, reading, and writing. Be sure to talk to your academic adviser about these requirements.
Effective 2016, entering transfer students must successfully complete at least one of the following Tippie RISE experiences to graduate.