Transfer students may be admitted to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program after satisfactory completion of pre-nursing courses in the UI College of Liberal Arts and Sciences or another college. The College of Nursing also offers an RN-BSN Program for RNs who want to earn a BSN. The deadline to apply for fall admission to the RN-BSN program is March 1 and for spring admissions September 1.
Admission to the BSN Program
Admission to the College of Nursing's BSN program is very competitive, and meeting the following requirements does not guarantee admission. About 72 students are admitted each year. Requirements include:
- completion of Prerequisite College Courses,
- a cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00 or above and a grade of C (2.00 GPA) or above in the prerequisite college courses, and
- applicants for whom English is not the first language must also present a TOEFL score of 550 or higher on the paper-based test or 81 or higher on the Internet-based test.
Prerequisite course work can be completed at the University of Iowa or another college. All nursing course work must be completed at the University of Iowa.
English Proficiency Requirement
Applicants whose first language is not English also must meet the university's English Proficiency Requirements.
- April 1 for spring semester entry
When you are admitted, a Degree Audit will be added to your Admissions Profile. The audit:
- specifies which Prerequisite College Courses you still need to complete, and which requirements for your major you still need to fulfill,
- indicates (for pre-business, pre-nursing, and pre-pharmacy students) which prerequisite courses necessary for applying to the respective colleges need to be fulfilled, and
- monitors other degree requirements including semester hours, GPA, residency requirement, and college-specific regulations.
Transfer Credit Evaluation
The Office of Admissions evaluates transfer courses on General Education Program requirements, as well as a number of courses applicable to the requirements of your major. Your major department makes decisions about how the rest of your transfer courses apply toward the requirements for your major.
Review the Transfer Policies to find out about calculating your transfer GPA, Iowa's course-repeat policy, and other Iowa credit transfer policies.
Course Equivalency Guide
Search the Transfer Equivalency Guide for commonly transferred courses offered at other Iowa institutions and our major out-of-state transfer colleges. The system is designed for prospective students who want to know how courses will transfer to Iowa and for UI students who plan to take courses at other institutions in the summer or at other times.