Transfer Admission to Nursing
Admission to the College of Nursing's BSN program is very competitive, and meeting the following requirements does not guarantee admission. Up to 80 talented students are admitted each year. Requirements include:
- completion of Prerequisite College Courses,
- a cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00 or above and a grade of C (2.00 GPA) or above in the prerequisite college courses, and
- applicants for whom English is not the first language must also present a TOEFL score of 550 or higher on the paper-based test or 81 or higher on the Internet-based test.
- a transfer student with 24 or more earned semester hours may declare the Nursing Interest if the transfer GPA is at least 3.00. If you are below a 3.0 transfer GPA, you will be automatically switched to an Open major. (This policy applies to students entering Summer 2019 and after)
Prerequisite course work can be completed at the University of Iowa or another college. All nursing course work must be completed at the University of Iowa.
When you are admitted, a Degree Audit will become part of your Admissions Profile in MyUI. The audit:
- specifies which General Education Requirements and requirements for your major you still need to fulfill,
- indicates which prerequisite courses need to be fulfilled, and
- monitors other degree requirements including semester hours, GPA, residency requirement, and college-specific regulations.
Transfer Credit Evaluation
The Office of Admissions evaluates General Education Program requirements, as well as a number of courses applicable to the requirements of your major. Your major department makes decisions about how the rest of your transfer courses apply toward the requirements for your major.
- Review our Transfer Policies to find out about calculating your transfer GPA, Iowa's course-repeat policy, and other Iowa transfer policies.
- Search the Transfer Equivalency Guide for commonly transferred courses offered at other Iowa institutions and our major out-of-state transfer colleges. The system is designed for prospective students who want to know how courses will transfer to Iowa and for UI students who plan to take courses at other institutions in the summer or at other times.
- Some programs have developed transfer plans for students planning to transfer from select colleges. Review our Transfer Planning Resources for more information.