Transfer Admission to Public Health
Applications by transfer students for direct admission to the public health major are not being accepted at this time.
Transfer students interested in joining the public health major should declare a public health interest in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and apply through standard admission after completing the prerequisites.
Students must meet the following requirements by the end of the semester in which you intend to apply:
- completion of at least 12 s.h. at the University of Iowa;
- completion of CPH:1400 Fundamentals of Public Health with a grade of B- or higher;
- completion of CPH:1600 Public Health Science: Inquiry and Investigation in Public Health with a grade of B- or higher; and
- a cumulative g.p.a. of at least 2.75 in all courses taken at the University of Iowa and in all college-level course work attempted.
Please note that students can take CPH:1400 and CPH:1600 during the same semester that they are applying to the major; the classes don’t have to be completed before submitting their application.
Students who are denied standard admission may file an appeal for admission to the College of Public Health
When you are admitted, a Degree Audit will become part of your Admissions Profile in MyUI. The audit:
- specifies which General Education Requirements and requirements for your major you still need to fulfill,
- indicates which prerequisite courses need to be fulfilled, and
- monitors other degree requirements including semester hours, GPA, residency requirement, and college-specific regulations.
Transfer Credit Evaluation
The Office of Admissions evaluates General Education Program requirements, as well as a number of courses applicable to the requirements of your major. Your major department makes decisions about how the rest of your transfer courses apply toward the requirements for your major.
- Review our Transfer Policies to find out about calculating your transfer GPA, Iowa's course-repeat policy, and other Iowa transfer policies.
- Search the Transfer Equivalency Guide for commonly transferred courses offered at other Iowa institutions and our major out-of-state transfer colleges. The system is designed for prospective students who want to know how courses will transfer to Iowa and for UI students who plan to take courses at other institutions in the summer or at other times.
- Some programs have developed transfer plans for students planning to transfer from select colleges. Review our Transfer Planning Resources for more information.