We look forward to welcoming you and your family to campus and answering your questions about the University of Iowa.
Black and Gold Days Packaged Activities
Choose the packaged activities that best suit your needs or call to personalize your visit to fit your interests. Space is limited, so register early to secure your spot before making your travel arrangements.
Offered daily in the morning or afternoon
- Iowa Overview session: This session includes information on admission, housing, student life, and financial aid for prospective students and their families.
- For visits from February 5 - April 29, we will offer two different Iowa Overview sessions - one for high school seniors and one for high school juniors and younger. Please look closely at the session you are choosing to be sure it is the appropriate one.
- 90 minute campus walking tour and East side residence hall tour open house
Bilingual tours are available upon request in Spanish, Portuguese, and Mandarin. To set up a bilingual tour, please contact the Admissions office at 319-335-0303.
- Complimentary lunch in our residence hall Market Place cafeterias (during the academic year when classes are in session)
Choose from various optional activities, available on select dates and times. If you don't see an option you are looking for, select a different date or call us at 319-335-1566. Academic group sessions and other individual appointments are not available on Saturdays. Advance notice is required for individual appointment requests.
- Honors Session
Students interested in the University of Iowa Honors Program may choose to attend an informational session offered weekdays at 8:30 a.m. Entering first-year students are eligible for admission to the Honors Program with a 3.8 GPA and 30 ACT (2040 new SAT), or by petition.
- Lunch in a Residence Hall Market Place
We invite you to have a complimentary lunch in one of our food-court-style dining facilities in Burge or Catlett residence halls when classes are in session during the fall, spring and summer semesters. Downtown Iowa City and the Iowa Memorial Union also offer many meal options for you to explore on your own.
- Academic Options
The University of Iowa offers students opportunities to attend either a group session with a specific academic college/department, or schedule an appointment with a specific department while on campus.
Select your session when you make your reservation online or contact us directly to schedule an appointment.
- College of Liberal Arts & Sciences - a session or individual appointment in nearly every academic department is available on weekdays
- Tippie College of Business – group session
- College of Education – group session
- College of Engineering – group session
- College of Public Health – group session
- College of Nursing – group session
- College of Pharmacy – group session
- Health Sciences – This session is a general overview of the health related majors at Iowa. (Offered on select Mondays and Fridays when classes are in session.)
- Optional Appointments
You may be able to meet with a representative from Admissions, the Center for Diversity & Enrichment, the Office of Student Financial Aid, Student Disability Services, Pomerantz Career Center, or Military & Veteran Student Services. Contact us directly to discuss options and schedule an appointment if needed.
- UI Running Tour
On select Saturdays, join UI Running Tour Guides and members of the UI Running Club on a 3.2-mile sight running tour of Iowa City and the University of Iowa campus. The tour has a comfortable pace, approximate 10-minute mile, with various stops along the route. Access to lockers and showers at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center provided.
Running tours will be available during the Black and Gold visit on the following Saturdays: March 24, April 7, 14, 21, and 28. The tour will take place at 10:00 a.m. after the Iowa Overview session. You can select the running tour option on the registration page.
How to Register
- Register online or call us at 319-335-1566 if the date you're looking for isn't available.
- On the calendar page, select an open date. If a date is not listed as open, all the options for that day have filled, or there may be an invitation-only event scheduled for that day.
- Once you have selected the date, the available sessions and events will be shown for that day.
- Fill out the registration form (one for each student).
- You will receive a personalized confirmation email.
Register for a Black and Gold Day
Register online or call us at 319-335-1566 to discuss how to personalize your visit to campus.
Best Times to Visit
We recommend visiting when classes are in session, even during the summer. Visit activities are limited when classes are not in session, and on Saturday mornings in the fall and spring when the visitors center is open (Registrar's Academic Calendar). If you would prefer to attend a larger event on campus for students considering Iowa, check out our visit options for First-Year students.
Making Travel Arrangements
These resources can help you Plan Your Trip to Iowa City.
If You Need Special Assistance
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all University of Iowa-sponsored events. If you or any of your guests are a person with a disability who requires special assistance during a campus visit, contact the Admission Visitors Center at 319-335-1566 (email: email@example.com) to discuss accommodations.