A Great College Town
- Vibrant. The Iowa City area is beautiful, pedestrian-friendly, and laced with miles of scenic bike trails. The Iowa River is a focal point of the campus and the community.
- Cultured. Find great restaurants, eclectic book stores, and abundant venues for dance, theatre, and music. For more details about where to go when you get to town, visit the Iowa City/Coralville Convention & Visitors Bureau website.
- Accessible. We're within a five-hour drive of Chicago, Minneapolis, Omaha, Kansas City, and St. Louis, and Making Travel Arrangements is a breeze.
- Fun. Annual activities near campus include the Iowa City Block Party, Friday Night Concert Series, and Jazz Festival downtown. There's also multiple arts fests, several film festivals, and outdoor movie screenings throughout the summer.
Nationally Ranked Community
Many University of Iowa students fall in love with Iowa City and some never leave, choosing to establish their careers and families here. Iowa City also ranks high in published reports:
- #1 Best College Town in the United States on Reviews.org "The Best College Town in Every State" list (2019).
- One of the Top Five College Towns in America, according to the American Institute for Economic Research's College Destination Index (2018) for cities with greater than 15,000 college students.
- The Best Small Metro to live in after College Graduation, according to the American Institute for Economic Research's Employment Destination Index (2016).
- #4 Best Place to Live on Livability.com's "2019 Top 100 Best Places to Live" list.
- #4 "Coolest cities in America", by Expedia Viewfinder in 2017.
- #4 among the "Brainiest" cities in America, according to a 2013 analysis published in The Atlantic.
- World's third City of Literature, as designated by UNESCO in 2008.
- #4 Smartest City on Lumosity’s Smartest Cities in America for 2013.
- A Top Literary City in the U.S., according to Highbrow Magazine, April 2014.
- Iowa City ranked in Top 25 Cities for Jobs, "Q4 2013 Career Trends Report," Beyond.com, February 2014.
- #3 Best US City for College Graduates, according to Business Insider, 2019.
- Voted #3 Top Place to Live in America, by Outsideonline.com, August 2015.
- #2 Best City for Entrepreneurs, by Entrepreneur in 2017.
Things to Do While You Are Here
Enjoy great dining, theatre, art, museums, athletic events, and live performances.
Ready to Visit?
Schedule your visit to our Iowa City campus today!