The Bachelor of Applied Studies (BAS) is an online degree program designed for community college graduates who have earned at least 60 hours of college course work and who wish to complete a bachelor’s degree online.
It is a general undergraduate degree without a traditional academic major. Instead, students work with their academic advisers to structure programs that meet their individual objectives.
Students may incorporate one of these certificate programs into their BAS studies:
- Certificate in Entrepreneurial Management
- Certificate in Nonprofit Management
- Certificate in Public Health
See the Continuing Education Website for course information.
Course Work for the BAS degree includes earning at least 12 s.h. of credit—including 6 s.h. of upper-level credit—in three of these areas:
- Humanities (e.g., literature, history, philosophy, religion)
- Communication and arts (e.g., journalism, speech, drama, art, music)
- Natural sciences and mathematics (e.g., geology, biological sciences, statistics, computer science)
- Social sciences (e.g., geography, psychology, economics, political science, anthropology)
- Professional fields (e.g., business, education, nursing, social work, library science)
Students also are required to complete the Bachelor of Applied Studies Core Requirements.
Students must maintain a grade-point average (GPA) of 2.00 or higher in all course work applied toward the degree, all course work completed after admission to the program, and all upper-level course work.
Of the 120 semester hours (s.h.) of course work required for the BAS degree, 30 s.h. must be earned at the University of Iowa after admission to the BAS program. At least 60 s.h. must be earned at a four-year college including 45 s.h. defined as upper-level.
For a complete listing of the requirements for the BAS degree, refer to the University General Catalog.
This degree program is designed for students who plan to earn an associate's degree from a community college, then follow up with online courses from the university.
Admission Requirements Tabs
Application Process Tabs
Apply to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences indicating the Bachelor of Applied Studies program as your degree objective.